BMW 507In 1954 a BMW importer Max Hoffman persuaded the BMW management to produce a roadster version of the BMW 501 and BMW 502 saloons that could compete with Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz sports cars. Hoffman pushed for designer Albrecht "Zeppo" Goertz, who also designed the contemporary BMW 503, as the designer, over existing designs by Ernst Loof, whose sketches Hoffman felt were not commercially viable. Goertz was hired by BMW in November 1954. BMW engineer Fritz Fiedler was assigned to design the mechanical package, using existing components wherever possible. The 507 shared the frame of the 503 and the body was almost entirely hand-formed of aluminum, and no two models were exactly the same. The engine was the aluminum alloy 3.2L BMW OHV V8, produced 150 hp - it was mated to a four-speed manual transmission with various rear-end ratios optional. BMW claimed performance figures of 0-60 mph in about 10 seconds and a top speed of 141 mph. The 507 made its debut at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York in the summer of 1955. Production began in November 1956. Intended to revive BMW's sporting image, the 507 instead took BMW to the edge of bankruptcy and the company lost money on each 507 built, and production was terminated in late 1959 with only 252 having been built, plus two prototypes. The 507 remains a milestone model for its attractive styling, which attracted some famous buyers including American icon Elvis Presley and John Surtees (who was given a 507 by MV Agusta). Surtees still owns his car and created a popular series of engine upgrades helping the engine produce 194 hp ? these are known as the Surtees upgrade. Only approximately 202 507s are known to survive - the styling of the 507 later influenced the Z3, Z4 and Z8. This example offered for sale has recently had a major overhaul including an engine rebuild, bare metal repaint and a total suspension overhaul. The vehicle is UK road registered.